10:00 to 13:00 (CET), 26th October 2021
Virtual Zoom Webinar Call Organised by AGE Platform Europe
Our ever-changing world makes us face numerous challenges, many of which affect our quality of life, personal health and care systems. Replying to those challenges requires a comprehensive and yet detailed understanding of each individual and the real-life contexts in which people live.
Do you feel you master your well-being? Are you at the driving seat regarding the way you are catered for?
Understanding ageing in its complexity is the ethos of the Horizon2020-funded SHAPES project, developing a whole organizational, structural, social, and technological ecosystem for ageing well.
This workshop will be a dialogue between older people, people with disabilities, academics, researchers and the general public. By exposing the lived realities of older people and people with disabilities, the workshop will seek to challenge prejudices around ageing. It will exhort participants to get closer to people’s realities and experiences. The workshop will show the ways in which SHAPES is working hard to respond to users’ needs, as illustrated by the #SHAPESstories.
Any question? Please contact Ilenia.email@example.com and Borja.firstname.lastname@example.org, AGE Platform Europe, phone number 0032 2 280 14 70.
The workshop will be in English, and simultaneous interpretation will be available in Italian, Spanish and German.
English sign language interpretation will be available, and speech-to-text across the four languages.
The workshop agenda is also available in the following:
Time Zone: CET
10:00 Welcome and introduction to the workshop by AGE Platform Europe
10:05 The various shapes of SHAPES: Mac MacLachlan, National University of Ireland Maynooth
10:15 Understanding ageing and disabilities:
- AGE Platform Europe, Joke de Ruiter-Zwanikken (5 min)
- World Federation of the Deaf-Blind, Sanja Tarczay (10 min)
- European Union of the Deaf, Markku Jokinen (10 min)
Q&A (10 min)
10:50 Real-life stories shaping lives, individuals and societies: the SHAPES ethnographic study
- Czech Republic “And now I am scared”: Delay and Avoidance in Uncertain Times” (Corona, Family, Fear, Ambiguity)
- Northern Ireland “Trains, Planes and Mobility Scooters” (Mobility, Frailty, Independence)
- Greece “Weighty Matters – Changing Habits in Later Life” (Health, Motivation, Digital Tools, Habits)
- WFDB Spain “The Red and White Cane: Obstacles and Barriers” (Independence, Technologies, Awareness, Discrimination)
- Italy “A Captured Glance, a Lifetime of Memories” (Being, Memories, Digital tools, Legacies)
- Germany/Dresden “Ageing is Not for Cowards’: Older Adults as Caregivers” (Caring for self and others, Generations, Time, Gender)
- Analysis of key insights
Q&A (20 min)
12:00 15-min break
12:15 Understanding people’s lives, communities, and contexts
- Active ageing in Europe – Insights from local and regional authorities, Valentina Polylas, EUREGHA (10 min)
- Older people’s decision-making in health and care, Lotan Kraun, TRANS-SENIOR project – Wit-Gele Kruis van Vlaanderen vzw (10 min)
Q&A (15 min)
12:50 Wrap-up and conclusions by Maciej Kucharzyck, AGE Platform Europe
13.00 End of meeting.